Frequently Asked
Questions: Annulment


How can I obtain an annulment?

An action for annulment or to declare the nullity of a void marriage is commenced the same way as an action for divorce. Please see the Divorce FAQ’s for answers to questions regarding litigation procedure.

What are the grounds for annulment in New York?

A common misconception is that a marriage can be annulled simply because it was of very short duration. This is not the case. As in divorce, New York law requires that you have one or more specific grounds to obtain an annulment. The available grounds are:

  1. a party was still married to his/her former spouse at the time of the marriage (this is an action to declare the nullity of a void marriage)
  2. one or both parties had not attained the legal age of consent to marry
  3. a party was a mentally retarded person or mentally ill person
  4. a party was physically incapable of getting married
  5. the consent to marry was obtained by force, duress, or fraud
  6. a party has been incurably mentally ill for five or more years

Request a free consultation

When facing a divorce, child custody, or child support case, you deserve a lawyer who will listen to your concerns and take the time to explain your options, and who has the knowledge and experience to give you the best advice.

Complete the Form or call now for a free consultation (631)337-1977.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Why Choose Petroske Riezenman & Meyers


Matrimonial and family law changes often. We stay informed of upcoming amendments and trends in the law. See our Articles, FAQ’s and Videos Library.


Our attorneys and support staff have dedicated their careers to excellence and professionalism in the practice of matrimonial and family law. Learn more About Us.


We are proud to be highly recommended by the many satisfied clients we have represented over the years in divorce and Family Court cases. See our Client Reviews.

Petroske Riezenman & Meyers, P.C. staff