Frequently Asked Questions:
Orders of Protection


Knowledge is power: Protecting yourself or your child.

Where do you go to get an order of protection? How do you obtain one? Do you need a lawyer? Whether your goal is to protect yourself or your child from physical violence, harassment or other abusive behavior, the right knowledge can help you move forward with a fair, just, and effective restraining order.

You deserve to know the facts. For quick answers to common questions about orders of protection, explore our FAQs below or call us for a free and confidential consultation. Our family law attorneys serve Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island with the knowledge, experience, and trust to give you the best advice.

Where do I go to get an order of protection?

An order of protection, sometimes called a restraining order, is usually obtained from either the Family Court or the District Court. For certain criminal offenses, the District Court will issue an order of protection (“OP”) when the defendant is arraigned (i.e., he/she first appears in court and pleads not guilty). This initial OP, called a temporary order of protection, will remain in effect until replaced by a permanent OP should the defendant be found guilty of the charge. Often, a defendant will plead guilty to a less severe charge as part of a plea bargain, and will agree to the court issuing a permanent order of protection as part of the disposition. A permanent OP is not, despite its name, permanent. It will issued for a period of one, two or three years in a domestic situation, depending on the severity of the incident.

You may also obtain an order of protection for yourself or your child from the Family Court. Because it is a civil proceeding, the district attorney will not prosecute the case for you, and you will be expected to retain your own attorney. There are, however, distinct advantages to using the Family Court instead of the District Court to get an order of protection. Most importantly, you will not have to prove the respondent guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, the more difficult burden of proof used in criminal proceedings. In Family Court, you need only prove the respondent committed a family offense by a “fair preponderance” of the evidence. This means that the weight of your proof need only be slightly greater than the weight of the respondent’s proof in defense of the charge. A further advantage to proceeding in Family Court is that you will retain control over the outcome. This is especially important if you later decide you do not need an order of protection because you have reconciled or relocated with the respondent. In Family Court you are free to withdraw the petition you filed. In District Court, that decision rests solely with the district attorney, who may be reluctant to abandon a prosecution.

How do I obtain an order of protection?

If you are a victim of a crime, the district attorney will request an order of protection for you. If the other party has not been charged with a crime, you will have to go to Family Court to file a family offense petition to ask for an order of protection for yourself or your child, or both.  The Department of Probation can assist you in the preparation of the petition and will provide all the forms. It is best to go early in the morning to ensure a good spot on line. If you arrive late in the morning, you may be in court all day. The caseworker will assist you in the preparation of the petition, but it is best to come prepared with an outline of the event, as well as other recent events. Before leaving court that day, you will appear before a judge of the Court who will ask you a few generic questions (e.g., “Is this your petition?” and “Are you afraid for your safety?”) before issuing a temporary order of protection and giving you a date to come back. On that next date you will be expected to be ready for a hearing on the petition, although many judges will use the first adjourned date as a conference to explore settlement options.

Do I need a lawyer?

You generally do not need an attorney to get the temporary order of protection on the first day, but having counsel represent you for conferences and the hearing is strongly recommended. If you fail to prove your case adequately, the court will dismiss your petition and vacate the temporary order of protection. This will not only subject you to further domestic violence, but may ruin your credibility in court should you wish to try again after further incidents occur.

What should I do if my partner/spouse makes false allegations against me to get an order of protection?

Sadly, this is a fairly common occurrence which is often the result of one spouse trying to gain advantage in a custody or divorce case. Many unscrupulous individuals will exaggerate or even outright lie in the hope that the court will grant them a “stay away” order of protection. If you are the victim of such manipulation, you should seek legal advice immediately to learn about your options. These options include filing a cross-petition so that your side of the story is heard in court. We will thoroughly prepare your defense and give you specific methods to best present your case in court.

Request a free consultation

When facing a divorce, child custody, or child support case, you deserve a lawyer who will listen to your concerns and take the time to explain your options, and who has the knowledge and experience to give you the best advice.

The best way to identify whether a Long Island divorce lawyer is right for you is to meet for an initial consultation. At Petroske Riezenman & Meyers, we are pleased to offer potential clients a free, confidential consultation where they can learn more about our experience and discuss their legal dispute. We can also offer our preliminary assessment about how the dispute will likely turn out as well as what evidence you will need for a favorable outcome.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Complete the Form or Call Now for a consultation (631)337-1977 or (516)699-1989.

Why Choose Petroske Riezenman & Meyers

There are many Long Island attorneys who will promise to aggressively represent your interests in a divorce or family law dispute.

Few have the right mix of attributes to provide cutting-edge legal representation along with compassionate support in this stressful time.

At Petroske Riezenman & Meyers, our success is built on three pillars:


Matrimonial and family law changes often. New developments come out of Albany every year, and the courts implement the law in sometimes surprising ways. To effectively protect your interests, you need a lawyer who understands the latest developments in the law, however minor. We stay informed of upcoming amendments and trends in the law. We know the latest court decisions that might impact how a judge views your case. If there is a precedent that supports your claim, we will find it and bring it to the attention of the judge.

See our Articles, FAQs and Video Library.


Family law disputes are not like other lawsuits. These disputes are governed by different laws and different judges. Although you can ask a criminal defense lawyer or an immigration attorney to handle your matrimonial or family law dispute, you should not be surprised if they are soon in over their heads and unable to provide effective representation. At Petroske Riezenman & Meyers, our attorneys and support staff have dedicated their careers to excellence and professionalism in the practice of matrimonial and family law.

Learn more About Us.


We are proud to be highly recommended by many satisfied clients we have represented over the years in divorce and Family Court cases.  We have over a century of combined experience, which allows us to perform a complete review of your case and discover facts that work to your advantage. We understand the unique challenges that family law disputes create, such as the risk of domestic violence, impediments to a negotiated resolution, or the possibility of harassing or vexatious litigation. To see the positive results we have achieved for others, check out our Client Reviews.

suffolk county long island divorce lawyers